Note: this blog is based on my book, The Top Ten Most Outrageous Couples of the Bible. On April 30 (tomorrow)and May 1, Focus on the Family will air interviews with me on this book. Tune in-I think you'll like the shows. We can learn a lot about marriage from these couples!
The Big Idea
Lot and his wife loved the world and it cost them everything.
By clinging to the world and its pleasures, Lot and his wife gave up everyone and everything dear to them. The world promises everything but ends up taking everything from you. There are many worldly pursuits that, while not inherently sinful, can become sinful and destructive if you love them too much:
children, career, money, fame, hobbies, playing a sport, watching sports, charity work, friends, fitness, possessions, entertainment, food.
A simple six question test will determine if you are in love with the world and not in love with God. I recommend you and your spouse take this test separately and then share your results.
1. how do you spend your time outside of work?
2. what do you spend your money on?
3. what are your entertainment choices?
4. how much time do you spend each week reading the Bible, devotional or teaching materials and praying?
5. how much do you tithe to your local church?
6. how do you serve God in your local church and in parachurch ministries?
Read your answers to your spouse and then have your spouse answer them for you. If you realize that you are in love with the world, admit it and take steps to move closer to God.
Next week, one more blog on Couples in the Bible.